Pecorino in Carrozza – Italian Grilled Cheese
Give the Italians a grilled a cheese and in their hands, it will become… even better. Cue this wonderful fried sandwich, which is inspired by the ones Claudia had as a child whenever she visited her grandmother in the south of Italy.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 8 slices of sandwich bread
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 250 g pecorino fresco (young pecorino cheese)
- 2 eggs
- 100 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- Sunflower seed oil for frying
Preparation: 20 minutes
1. Cut the pecorino fresco into 1/2 inch / 1 cm thick slices to fit onto the bread, making sure to leave a narrow margin around the edges. Place them on top of 4 of the bread slices and add two anchovy fillets per sandwich. Close the sandwiches with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
2. Place the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Whisk the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Take one of the sandwiches, dip it into the flour (make sure it’s eventi coated) and shake off any excess. Next, dip it into the egg mixture, again making sure that it is evenly coated, before coating it in breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
3. Heat a generous amount of sunflowers seed oil in a large pan over medium to high heat. Place the prepared sandwiches in the frying pan, working in batches. Cook them until they are golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!